Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I Should Be Dancing!!! Yeah!

I thought I gave up my dancing shoes a long long time ago... but after these two movies.. or rather after any dance movie... I just wanna get back into my leotards, ballet shoes and DANCE!

But seriously... I'm not as nimble as before though I still could spin pirouettes around most people... but anyhooos... I prefer the more hip hop, jazzy, crumpin routines these days... but it'll take me awhile to learn the steps...

Must be the hype of Singapore's version of So You Think You Can Dance... aptly titled 'The Dancefloor' and hosted by 3 peeps who well... can't really dance.. maybe Jade could but well.. I do give credits to the judges as they do have very strong and professional dance backgrounds. It'll be really interesting to see if Singaporeans do have the natural talent for dancing.... some people do.. and those that don't... well.. better luck next time...

Back to today, my off day.. and well.. am enjoying it coz I see next week as a very full week with no off day. I rented these two movies - 'Step Up' & 'You Got Served' and well, some of my frens said that Step Up was nothing much, same o same o as other dance movies. But i enjoyed it, maybe coz I just love dance movies.

The plot was easy enough, not rocket science here.. but the similarity of the two.. great music, fantastic if not out of this world dance routines/moves, good looking cast (even the bad guys were cute) and a young boy (who follows the good guys around wanting to follow in their footsteps) gets shot by some gangsta hoodie.

Dancers are under-rated, regardless what genre of music; R&B, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Rock, Retro, Techno, Pop, House, Garage, Funk, Punk, even Gothic... if there's Music, There be Dancing! Movies like these show that dancers are like artists in their own right.

These are my top dance movies... (in no particular order)
Fame - Remember My Name!

Flashdance - She's a Maniac, Maniac... on the dancefloor! The scene stealer was when she sat on the chair, pulled this string and down came water!!! Awesome... so much so, Geri Halliwell stole that scene for one of her music videos too!

Dirty Dancing - At that time... Patrick Swayze's butt was yummiclicious....

Save The Last Dance - Ballet meets Hip Hop

Honey - Dancer's dream come true... choreograph for the big stars

You Got Served - Down to the streets! It's about REP!

Step Up - Again Ballet meets Hip Hop, boy/girl fall in love despite the differences coz of their love for dance.

I wanna go dancing!!!

No comments:

www.flickr.com
Lots more designs and what-nots at A Semi Precious Life